CHENNAI, 31st October 2019: Indian Institute of Technology Madras students from the Centre For Innovation (CFI) will be demonstrating some of their cutting-edge technologies and innovations to the public on Saturday (2nd November 2019) during CFI Open House 2019.
The Event is open to the public from 4 pm to 7 pm. Those interested in visiting the event are kindly requested to register at the following link and to carry any Government-issued Photo-Identity Card while coming to the event – https://www.cfi-iitm.com
The CFI Open House is an annual event showcasing the recent work and achievements of student innovators, as well as providing an opportunity for their projects to be displayed on a large scale, leading to implementation. CFI Open House is an opportunity for students to network with potential mentors and facilitators in the field of technology and entrepreneurship.
Speaking about importance of CFI, Prof M.S. Sivakumar, Dean (Students), IIT Madras, said, “If one is wondering where all those ideas of startups that the Honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi spoke about when he visited the IIT Madras Research Park recently, one key piece that solves this puzzle are the students that buzz around in CFI, immersed with their hands and minds. CFI has become an important hub for many students to wet their hands and cook their ideas. And, therefore, if there is an occasion to witness the germinating source of all those that happen at startups and beyond, it is the CFI Open House.”
A student-run platform, CFI was set up with a vision to encourage engineers to apply knowledge from their academic pursuits to ‘innovate’ and propose solutions to real-world problems. It serves as a creative hub, encouraging peer learning and providing a platform for ideas to manifest with the support of resources, workspace and mentoring.
Highlighting the role of CFI, Prof Satyanarayanan Seshadri, Faculty Advisor, CFI and Nirmaan, IIT Madras, said, “CFI has grown from strength to strength and has done so organically after taking roots with an alumni grant. Having proven their mettle with world-class compatriots, CFI is ready for the next level and we invite you to witness future in the making. Originally a maker space, with the vision to enable any student walk in with an idea and walk out with a project, CFI is now joined by Nirmaan (India’s only Student pre-incubation on campus) to enable teams wishing to explore entrepreneurship with their projects. The CFI-Nirmaan tagline now becomes ‘walk in with an idea and walk out with a start-up’.”
Almost a decade since its inception, CFI is now home to ten clubs and four competition teams with over 600 students being involved in activities over the year. The comprehensive inventory and workspace at CFI acquired and maintained over the years uniquely facilitates these teams and clubs to rapidly design and implement their ideas. Many CFI Teams have won international acclaim for their innovation.
Speaking about one of the competition teams, Prof Asokan Thondiyath, Faculty Advisor, Team Anveshak, CFI, IIT Madras, said, “Team Anveshak has been consistently improving their performance in the international competition in the last few years and we hope to make it to the top 5 teams this year. CFI openhouse gives the team an opportunity to showcase their talent and preparedness towards this goal.”
Some of the significant achievements of CFI Teams in the past two years include
- Team Avishkar Hyperloop was the only Team from Asia to be among the 22 teams, shortlisted from over 1,600 entries that qualified for the final round of the 2019 Hyperloop Pod Competition organized by SpaceX on July 21, 2019 at their Headquarters in Los Angeles, California in July 2019. The team met Mr. Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX and Tesla
- Team Raftar Formula Racing, emerged as the Overall Static winner, Design Event winner and Cost Event runner-up in Formula Student Germany competition. They finished 39th in the competition.
- Mr. Pranav Pawar and Mr. Rohith from the Analytics club won the First prize in the Machine Learning Challenge and Quant challenge respectively in the GS Quantify 2019, conducted by Goldman Sachs in Bengaluru
- Team Abhiyaan secured Second place overall with 5th in Auto-Nav, 6th in Design, 2nd in the IOP Challenge in the Intelligence Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC) 2019 at Oakland University.
- Team Anveshak secured an eminent position of 12 in University Rover Challenge 2019 in Utah.
- Team Smart Agricopter and Team Eye in the Sky were shortlisted among the top ten teams in India Innovation Growth Program 2.0 and will receive funding for their projects.
- CFI participated in the Army Technology Seminar – 2019 which was organised as a part of the Army Day celebrations on 11th January at the Manekshaw Convention Centre, New Delhi
About IIT Madras
Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) was established in 1959 by the Government of India as an institute of national importance. The activities of the Institute in various fields of Technology and Science are carried out in 16 academic departments and several advanced interdisciplinary Research Academic Centres. The Institute offers undergraduate and post – graduate programmes leading to the B.Tech., M.Sc., M.B.A., M.Tech., M.S., and Ph.D., degrees in a variety of specialisations. IITM is a residential institute with more than 580 faculty and 9,500 students. Students from 18 countries are enrolled here. IITM fosters an active entrepreneurial culture with strong curricular support and through the IITM Incubation Cell.
IITM has been ranked No.1 in the Overall Institutions category in India Rankings 2019 released by National Institutional Ranking Framework, Ministry of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India. The Institute has also been ranked No.1 in the Engineering Institutions category in the same Rankings for four consecutive years – 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. It was also adjudged as the ‘Top innovative Institution’ in the country in the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2019 launched by Innovation Cell of MHRD.
Media contact for IIT Madras
Bhavani Giddu – Footprint Global Communications
Cell: 9999500262 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sairam Radhakrishnan- IIT Madras Media Cell, Chennai
Cell: 9840108083/ Email: email@example.com
Palak Sakhuja – Footprint Global Communications
Cell: 9582338333 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rahat Ali – Footprint Global Communications Cell: 7814313852 / Email: email@example.com